Saturday, 25 October 2008

Let me introduce..







I am reminded of... Jane Fonda and Jennifer Lopez in a certain movie about mother in laws.

"After years of looking for Mr. Right, Charlotte 'Charlie' Cantilini finally finds the man of her dreams, Kevin Fields, only to discover that his mother, Viola, is the woman of her nightmares. A recently fired news anchor who is afraid she will lose her son the way she has just lost her career, Viola determines to scare off her son's new fiancé by becoming the world's worst mother-in-law. While Viola's long-time assistant Ruby does her best to help Viola execute her crazy schemes, Charlie decides to fight back and the gloves come off as the two women battle it out to see just who is the alpha-female."

Mother wants to be Queen B. I don't want to take over though. I want a quiet life and to be left to live it. I'm not looking to be the alpha female.
Yesterday, Paul and I head back home to collect family on our trip to The Drovers.

We got to his house and immediately I'm feeling uncomfortable. I don't know what I can do to please his mum. Well I do, stay away from her son. Let her mother and smother him for the rest of his life.
I dunno why I've not gelled with this "mother in law". I'm always good with peoples family, especially my partners. A later conversation with her, suggests she does want us to be together, but that she feels we're moving too quick. But what does she know? What does anyone really know? We are a couple. We are in a relationship of two people. We share everything together. She told me Paul had been seriously hurt before and she is only protecting her son. I admire that, but I feel she needs to let her son make decisions for himself.. to give him a little room to breathe and the power of choice. I tried to re-assure her, that I'm not a stupid little girl. That I am in love with her son. That I'd never hurt him. Ever. I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake. Especially that of an ex.

The "Mother in law" gives grief to her daughters bf too. We had a chat and he made me feel a bit better about the situation. Its nice to know I'm not alone and that, there are ways to deal with it. Paul's dad, a very kind man, gave me reassurance too. I just need to "play the game" apparently.
I definitely need to be stronger and thicker skinned.

I really don't think she knows me. I don't think she really wants to either. I think I need to accept that and just deal with the fact that she isn't as open as me and my family.

No comments: